The Spinal System
There are numerous sections to the spine. These are all vital, and if one is destroyed, it can result in a great deal of discomfort.
- Spinal Cord: The spinal cord relays information from the brain to the rest of the
- body. It is made up of bones, nerves, ligaments, muscles, and other tissues that assist the human body function and send messages throughout the body. The spinal cord is made up of various components, including the neck, chest, and lower back.
- Vertebrae: The bones that compose the spine are called vertebrae. They start at the base of the head and go all the way down the body to the pelvis. There are a total of 24 vertebrae in the spinal column:
- 7 vertebrae in the neck (cervical)
- 12 vertebrae in the midback (thoracic)
- 5 vertebrae in the lower back (lumbar).
- Nerves: Within the intricate spinal system, there are numerous different types of nerves. Spinal nerves are formed when the posterior and anterior roots come together to produce spinal nerves, which control bodily movement and physical sensation.
Injury to the Spine
The spine serves as the body’s primary support system. The bones along the spine give us our shape and bear the brunt of most body motions structurally. The bones, muscles, and ligaments along the spine are prone to injury with regular contact to the body, such as walking, jogging, and general movement. The nerves in the spinal column can be damaged by injuries and impacts to the spine. The spinal cord can be injured in two ways. A complete injury means the nerve tissue has lost all function, but an incomplete damage means the patient still has some nerve function.
Back Pain and Spinal Injuries: Care & Treatment
Back pain and spinal damage can have a variety of causes and symptoms. Back discomfort is one of the leading causes of missed work in the United States. Pain might be minor, moderate, severe, or incapacitating. Chiropractic back pain treatment is non-invasive and does not require the use of potentially addictive medicines. Our chiropractor is trained to modify the different portions of the spinal column using manual and instrument-assisted approaches for maximum health and function. Spinal adjustments can be used to realign the spine and relieve discomfort. Spinal traction, spinal decompression, the Activator Approach, the drop-table method, and other procedures are some of the treatments we employ to treat spine disorders.
Make An Appointment Today
If you have back or neck pain, it’s most likely due to a problem with your spine. The importance of spinal alignment in avoiding pain and injuries cannot be overstated. Our skilled chiropractor at Arizona Chiropractic & Holistic Health Center in Scottsdale, AZ, can treat back pain as well as other disorders such as sciatica, herniated disks, subluxations, pinched nerves, and more. To learn more or to book an appointment, give us a call anytime.